3.08.2012

Whole Wheat Pizza Dough


Homemade pizza makes a regular appearance in my house each week.  The dough is much easier to make than you might think.  I typically make the dough around lunch time then let it rise until it's time to make dinner.  And the more times you make it, you will certainly come up with your own style and way of making it.  This is how I make it... (or scroll all the way down to find a link to print)

You will need:

1/4 ounce Instant Dry Yeast
1 1/3 cups lukewarm water
pinch of salt
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp honey (optional)
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups whole wheat flour

Combine the water and yeast in a large mixing bowl
(I use a stand mixer) and leave alone for about 5 minutes until the yeast has dissolved.

Add the oil, salt and honey (if you decide to use the honey).  Then, about a half cup at a time, add the flour, mixing as you go.  Mix using the dough hook on the stand mixer, or by hand if you’re not using a stand mixer. Knead with dough hook, or by hand, for about 10 minutes until the dough is nice and smooth. 

Move the dough to a large, lightly oiled bowl.  Cover with a damp towel and let rise in a warm place (I put it in my turned off oven) for at least 2 hours.

Preheat your oven to 475 F.  Punch the dough down to release the air.  Divide it in half, roll each piece into a ball and let rest for about 10 minutes (covered with the damp towel).  You can prep your toppings during this time.

Flatten each ball on a floured surface.  You can use a dough roller, but I like to do it with my hands.  Place each circle on lightly greased pans.

Poke holes in the dough using a fork to prevent air bubbles forming during baking.

I like to brush the outside of the dough (which will become the crust) with olive oil seasoned with garlic, salt and pepper.  Then add the rest of your toppings and bake for about 12-15 minutes.

And that's it!  Next time I make it I will take pictures to accompany this recipe.  You can find yeast in the baking aisle of the grocery store, usually above the flour.

Seriously, it's easy, yummy and better for you than take out pizza. 

No comments:

Post a Comment