3.05.2012

Quinoa for Breakfast

As I was poking around Pinterest this morning, I came across this recipe for quinoa (a protein packed seed). I have always liked quinoa (still working on my husband and kids) and make it for dinner occasionally, but never thought about making it for breakfast.  This recipe was from the Martha Stewart website, below is my version with just a few tweeks.


You will need:

2 cups milk (I use non-fat)
1 cup quinoa
pinch of salt
2 tbsp honey
1 tsp cinnamon
8 raw almonds chopped
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup fresh blueberries

Carefully bring milk to a boil.  Add quinoa and salt to milk and return to a boil.  Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for about 15 minutes or until about 3/4 of the milk has been absorbed.


Stir in honey and cinnamon.  Cover again and cook for about another 8-10 minutes or until most of the milk has been absorbed.  Add the nuts and fruit.


Now you have yourself a warm and healthy breakfast cereal.  Enjoy!


Visit my Facebook page for more food ideas :)

No comments:

Post a Comment