2.27.2012

Thai Crunch Salad


I've been seeing a lot of salads using broccoli slaw lately and they all look so good.  I've been trying to find one using a little less oil or mayo.  I wasn't able to find one that I really wanted to try so I made my own using all the ingredients I love in a crunchy salad.  The recipe below for the salad is for one serving, so you can easily multiply it.  The recipe for the dressing is two servings.

For the salad you will need:

6 oz broccoli slaw
1 apple (I used Gala)
10 almonds, chopped
1 oz cilantro leaves, chopped
1 green onion sprig, chopped

For the dressing you will need:

1 tbsp creamy peanut butter
1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
4 tbsp red wine vinegar (or rice vinegar if you have it)
1 tsp sriracha sauce
1/2 tsp sesame seed oil for flavor
juice from half a lime


So first, you'll need to get chopping.  I made little match sticks out of the apple, skin on.  Then add the apples, cilantro, green onion and almonds to the broccoli slaw.  That's pretty much it for the salad portion.

Then, in a seperate bowl add the peanut butter.  Zap it in the microwave for about 30 seconds to a minute to soften it if you need to.  Add the soy sauce, vinegar, sriracha, sesame seed oil and lime juice to the bowl and combine well with a wisk or fork until smooth.  And that's it for the dressing part of it.

Now, just pour half of the dressing (remember, this recipe makes two servings) over the salad and mix.  Top with a lime wedge to make it pretty.

It is so delicious. The almonds give it a nice crunch and apples give it a nice sweetness.  And get this... This whole salad, which is a mountain on my plate, is approximately 302 calories!  Yes, please :) Enjoy!


Follow me on Facebook for more food ideas :)

No comments:

Post a Comment