10.01.2012

Mini Pumpkin Muffins

It's October! One of my favorite months of the year. Fall is in full effect and Pumpkin Spice Lattes are a plenty :) Last week I made some pumpkin muffins with the boys. They were just OK. Not great. They were a little bit chewy, I have to admit. I tweeked the recipe a bit and gave it another go today. I made them mini this time and added a crispy crumbly topping. Yum!! They came out much better than last week...


Mini Pumpkin Muffins

You will need:

For the muffins
3/4 cup oatmeal flour (I grind my own from oats)
1 cup whole wheat flour (or regular if you want)
1/2 cup sugar (raw, evaporated cane juice, etc...)
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
2 eggs
1 can organic pureed pumpkin
1/4 cup evoo
1/4 cup any other oil (I used canola, but I bet coconut would be yum!)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

For the topping
1/4 cup oat flour
1/4 cup sugar (or variation)
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup cold butter, diced
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Prepare mini muffin pan with cooking or baking spray, or butter. 

2. Combine all the dry ingredients for the muffins in a medium bowl (flours, sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice).

3. In another bowl combine wet ingredients for the muffins (eggs, pumpkin puree, oils, vanilla).

4. Fold wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until combined. Set aside.

5. Add the ingredients for the topping into a food processor and pulse until it forms small pea-sized clumps (or cut with pastry cutter or a couple of forks).

6. Add muffin batter into muffin pan, filling each spot about 3/4. Top with the topping mix. Bake at 325 for 16 - 17 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for about 2 minutes, then remove from pan to a cooling rack.

This recipe allowed me to make two batches, 48 mini muffins. (About 41 of them are gone already.)

In other news, it's a new month, perfect time to set new goals. I found this #yogaaday challenge floating around on my Instagram feed so I thought I'd give it a try. This is day one...


Ryan, my four year old, took this awesome shot for me. I may not have a photographer everyday, but be assured I'm going to try each pose everyday this month.

Happy October!

No comments:

Post a Comment